Dietitians are effective nutrition counsellors
Dietitians have both the scientific knowledge and the counselling skills needed to deliver effective dietary advice. They apply proven behaviour change techniques and counselling methods and tailor nutrition advice to optimize limited resources and help streamline care.
Nutrition counselling makes a difference
- Nutrition counselling improves general dietary behaviours associated with good health such as increased fruit, vegetable, and fibre intake and decreased fat intake1
- Lifestyle interventions (nutrition counselling, physical activity and behaviour modification2 can:
- reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes by up to 70% in adults at risk
- improve blood pressure and cholesterol levels (after at least 3 months)
- decrease body weight by about 3-6 kg (after at least 12 months).
- Dietitians of Canada. In healthy adults and adults with chronic disease, what is the impact on health behaviour change of telehealth interventions delivered by health care providers compared with usual care? In: Practice-based Evidence in Nutrition® [PEN]. 2016 Jan 13. Available from: http://www.pennutrition.com. The PEN System: an international, online, evidence-based, peer reviewed database for nutrition guidance.
- Dietitians of Canada. What is the effectiveness of dietary or lifestyle interventions for preventing or treating chronic disease in the primary care setting? In: Practice-based Evidence in Nutrition® [PEN]. 2016 Sept 12. Available from: http://www.pennutrition.com. The PEN System: an international, online, evidence-based, peer reviewed database for nutrition guidance.
- Dietitians and Chronic Disease Management
(November 2016) – This one page bilingual factsheet promotes the effectiveness of diet counselling delivered by dietitians in chronic disease management.
- Dietitians in Primary Care
(November 2016) – This bililngual factsheet provides an overview of what dietitians do and the difference they can make in primary health care environments.
Created February 22, 2017.