Nutrition Screening Course
Dietitians of Canada’s Nutrition Screening course provides an evidence-based, self-paced learning program that provides an in-depth discussion of what nutrition screening is, sample tools for use in various practice settings, and decision-making frameworks that help you select the right tool for the right situation.
Developed by Heather Keller, PhD, RD, FDC nutritional epidemiologist and dietitian with research expertise in nutrition risk screening, assessment and nutrition intervention, assisted by a National Advisory Committee of experienced dietitians and researchers from across the country, the program provides a balance of background information, current research and practical information.
While the main audience for this program is dietitians, anyone interested in developing a nutrition screening program will find this course valuable. After completing this course, learners will be able to:
- describe the complexity of identifying a definition for malnutrition and how this affects development of screening tools;
- understand how screening fits into nutrition care;
- describe key steps in the development of good nutrition screening tools;
- be able to critique if a tool is appropriate for their practice setting;
- identify if screening is appropriate for their setting and the form of screening that could be undertaken;
- differentiate a screening tool from a screening program;
- describe the components of an ethical screening program; and
- formulate an implementation and evaluation plan for their practice setting.
This 4 module course includes the following features:
- Extensive evidence review and specific practice guidance.
- Case studies to facilitate understanding and application of the course content.
- Extensive bibliography and links to further resources.
- End of course exam.
- A personal certificate of successful completion.
Each module can be completed at a time, place and pace convenient to you. Your purchase of the program entitles you to unlimited access to all course materials for 90 days from the day you sign up. Extensions will not be granted.