The Atlantic Region is comprised of dietitians and students from New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador and Prince Edward Island. Each province and it's members bring a unique character to our profession but share similar goals, which is to increase access to dietitian services across the region, while helping the public and key stakeholders understand the role and value of dietitians. Our members are also passionate about healthy food environments, food security and mental health in schools and the community.
With 5 undergraduate food and nutrition programs, 2 Masters level programs and 3 post-graduate internship programs, supporting our vibrant student community is also a significant priority. Dietitians and students in the Atlantic region are keen to connect and value networking and learning from one another.
Here are some accomplishments from 2019:
What can you look forward to in 2020:
- The Prince Edward Island Dietitian Action Group highlighted the need to improve nutrition services in long term care and home care during the provincial pre-election period and will continue this work with the newly elected government.
- The Nova Scotia Dietitians’ Continuing Care Action Group connected with government about the dietitian’s role in wound care and home care.
- The Nova Scotia Dietitians for Health Insurance Coverage Action Group successfully advocated for dietitian services to be added to the undergraduate student benefit plan at Mount Saint Vincent University.
- The Dietitians of Newfoundland and Labrador Action Group met with representatives from the Health and Wellness and Children, Seniors and Social Development to review dietitian services in primary care, long term care and food security.
- The New Brunswick Dietitians in Action surveyed all NB dietitians as part of developing a new workplan for 2020.
The engagement and participation of Atlantic region members is always welcome. Please get in touch with me if you'd like to find out how to get involved in regional activities.
See all the news from across Canada
See all cross-Canada webinars and local events