Manitoba and Saskatchewan is a vibrant DC community connecting dietitians and students from across these two prairie provinces. Our members are passionate about promoting the role and value of dietitians and the impact dietitians have on the patients, clients and communities they work with, advocating for issues to shape the healthcare system and food environments, and connecting with one another to build knowledge and acquire new skills.
Highlights in 2019:
What can you look forward to in 2020:
- The largest ever Manitoba Nutrition in your Practice Day was held, bringing together local dietitians, researchers and students.
- DC partnered with the Saskatchewan Health Authority and University of Saskatchewan to host the annual Saskatchewan Research Day.
- Members highlighted the value of dietitians in long term care at the Long Term & Continuing Care Association of Manitoba’s Conference.
- Members were encouraged to get involved in the 2019 Manitoba Provincial Election, along with budget and educational consultations. DC materials were created to support members in raising awareness of dietitians’ election priorities, and DC also wrote to political party leaders outlining our priorities. See election materials here.
- DC supported the launch of Eat Well Saskatchewan, a province-wide dietitian call centre.
- The Saskatchewan Issue of Other Nutrition Providers Action Group created an action plan to advocate for inclusion of dietitian services in employee benefit plans.
- The Saskatchewan Long Term Care Action Group continued to identify advocacy priorities, share information, network and learn.
- The DC National Conference in Saskatoon, June 10-13.
- Two professional development events in Winnipeg – an Indigenous Cultural Sensitivity Blanket Exercise on April 24 and a motivational interviewing and counselling skills workshop on September 17.
- Member materials outlining dietitians’ priorities for the 2020 Saskatchewan Provincial Election.
- DC will have a booth highlighting the value of dietitians at the Canadian Public Health Association’s National Conference being held in Winnipeg in April.
- DC members will take action on advocating for inclusion of dietitian services in employee benefit plans with Saskatchewan employers.
The engagement and participation of Manitoba and Saskatchewan members is always welcome. Please get in touch with me if you'd like to find out how to get involved in regional activities.
See all the news from across Canada
See all cross-Canada webinars and local events