Ontario members are keen to advocate for dietitians and to network with each other. Our Ontario local actions groups are connecting DC members and external stakeholders to ensure that our influence continues to runs deep now and in the future.
Plans for 2020:
- DC members Sandy Maxwell, Clare Barker and I had a successful meeting with MPP Sam Oosterhoff to discuss the impact of lack of dietitians in public health in Niagara.
- The Ontario Long term care action group (LTCAG) is celebrating success with the release of the Auditor General’s report on Food and Nutrition in Long-Term-Care Homes. Dale Mayerson, former chair of the LTCAG, and I met with the Auditor General’s office in March to discuss the issues facing Ontario residents in LTC regarding food and nutrition. We were thrilled to see the recommendations to increase allotted time for dietitians in the final report, as well as reference to the Dietitians of Canada Best practices for Nutrition, Food service and Dining in LTC Homes document. We are awaiting a response from the Minister of Long Term Care for further discussions.
- Amy Skeoch, Chair of the Nutrition Misinformation action group and I have been developing a relationship with the decision makers at the Ontario Teacher's Insurance Plan and will continue our advocacy work in 2020.
- Dietetic Education Leadership Forum of Ontario, in partnership with the University of Saskatchewan commissioned a New Graduate survey. Results will be available early in 2020.
- Queen's park lobby day on March 5th to talk about the impact of Nutrition and mental health - prevention and treatment with MPPs.
- Networking events in Niagara, London and Toronto
- Expansion of employee health benefits advocacy through the Nutrition misinformation action group.
- Submissions on the Modernization of public health report and Ontario budget for 2020.
The engagement and participation of Ontario members is always welcome. Please get in touch with me if you'd like to find out how to get involved in regional activities.
See all the news from across Canada
See all cross-Canada webinars and local events