DC advocates for dietitians to the federal government
Dietitians of Canada is a member of the Organizations for Health Action (HEAL), a coalition that includes all Canadian health professional associations. HEAL's mission is to improve the health of Canadians and the quality of care they receive.
With the COVID-19 crisis deeply affecting health professionals, HEAL sent a letter to the federal Minister of Health Patty Hajdu and the federal Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Theresa Tam. This letter was sent to offer assistance during the crisis, but also to inform them of the challenges and needs health professionals like dietitians, are facing. These include:
Read the full letter here
- The emerging scarcity of various resources, including protective gear, equipment (such as ventilators) and healthcare workers;
- The impact of clinic closures on both patients and providers (including financial duress) as well as limited attention to populations already vulnerable due to social and economic exclusion;
- The concerns of front-line healthcare workers overexposing their families to COVID-19 after having worked on the front lines;
- Healthcare students no longer being able to find placements to complete their programs, having their classes cancelled and sometimes seeing their confirmatory and entry-into-practice exams postponed, and thus creating the conditions for a delay of much needed new professionals entering the sector, as well as an additional financial burden on these students;
- The need for expediting the training of healthcare professionals who will feel better prepared to carry out instructions or directives regarding the treatment of a patient;
- The roadblocks to virtual care delivery, delaying much needed access to services (including technology requirements, reimbursement and health profession regulatory issues).
Read the HEAL press release on the results of a survey on the challenges of health professionals
(et en français
DC has continued to take action via HEAL and the Extended Healthcare Professionals Coalition (EHPC). These actions include:
Please reach out to your Regional Executive Director
with the challenges you are facing or if you have stories to share. You can also join the new Facebook group, Dietitians of Canada COVID-19 Response Group