The Oncology Network is a dynamic group of dietitians dedicated to setting the standard for excellence in oncology nutrition practice.
Our goal is to provide a forum for all dietitians who work in oncology care to share knowledge, experience, research and resources. By working together we can provide quality nutrition for people with cancer throughout the continuum of care and across Canada.
Who should join this network?
Let's advance oncology nutrition practice together. Collective wisdom achieves greatness!
The oncology network membership includes dietitians who work in hospitals, cancer centres, long term care, the community, private practice, industry and so on. Whether you are a novice or an expert in oncology nutrition and whether your practice is 100% cancer care or 5% cancer care, the network provides a safe place to learn the basics, opportunities to mentor each other and a space to respectfully challenge the status quo.
Benefits of Membership
As a member of the Oncology Network, you will have free access to:
- webinars by members and invited oncology experts on the latest oncology nutrition topics
- thought provoking blogs about current trends or the latest research in cancer care written by members and colleagues
- links to valuable websites, patient education materials, archived oncology presentations and conference reports.
- and nation-wide networking opportunities.
As a member of the Oncology Network, you will have opportunities for skills development with the added benefit of financial honorariums for presenting a webinar and/or writing a feature for the blog.
Lastly, as a member of the Oncology Network, you qualify to apply for the Annual Member Education Award.
Activities and Achievements
Our most notable achievements are:
Dietitians in Cancer Care
- The 'Dietitians in Cancer Care' advocacy tool that is available in both English and French. This tool can be used to profile the oncology RD in your area, to educate the public on RD effectiveness in cancer care and to support staffing proposals for your institution or cancer centre. It comes with an extensive reference list that you can use to support the work in your area.
- Webinars by world renowned cancer nutrition experts: Dr. Liz Isenring from Queensland Australia presented on Nutrition Screening and Assessment in Cancer Care and Canada's very own Dr. Vickie Baracos presented on Diagnosis and Classification of Cancer-associated Malnutrition.
Chair: Daniela Fierini, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre
Past Chair, current Advisor: Ryna Levy-Milne, University of British Columbia
Webinar Coordinator: Rebecca Chessman, Fresenius Kabi Canada, Toronto
Webinar Coordinator: Annie Tsang, BC Cancer, BC
Member: Patty Tachynski, Cross Cancer Institute, Edmonton
Blog Coordinator: Courtney McKay, Allan Blair Cancer Centre, Regina
Education Award Coordinator: Denise Gabrielson, St. Michael’s Hospital, Toronto
$35 for full members; $15 for students
Join this network