There is increasing awareness among researchers, educators, healthcare professionals and consumers that the one-size-fits-all, population-based approach to nutritional guidance is inefficient and sometimes ineffective. This awareness has created a growing market for personal genetic testing services. Research in the field of nutritional genomics (also called nutrigenomics) has provided important new insights into the role of human genetic variation in modifying the response to nutrients and food bioactives. Nutrigenetics, the focus of this course, uses genomic tools and genetic information to address issues important to nutrition and human health.
The primary goals of the course are to:
- Review the science of nutritional genomics, with a particular focus on how individual genetic differences (ie nutrigenetics) impact our response to the foods, beverages and supplements we consume.
- Provide examples of nutritional genomics research and give examples of their application to clinical practice.
- Illustrate behavioural outcomes, attitudes and perceptions of consumer genetic testing for personalized nutrition amongst health professionals and the public.
- Describe the strengths and limitations of consumer genetic testing and identify the factors to look for when choosing a genetic test.
- Explore the social, legal, and ethical issues to consider when incorporating nutrigenetics testing into dietetic practice.
- Discuss the role of registered dietitians in the interpretation of genetic test results.
Course content is presented in a variety of formats including video presentations, supplementary readings, a glossary, bibliography and reference lists. Specific examples such as celiac disease, protein for weight management, caffeine and cardiovascular disease are included. Module quizzes and case studies a provide opportunity for critical reflection and assessment of whether, or how, this new tool may be used in your practice.
Your purchase entitles you to unlimited access to course materials for 90 days from the date you register. Extensions will not be granted. The course will take 8-10 hours to complete.
Pricing: Members: $94.95; Non-Members: $179.95.