Long commute? Before you head home, grab a drink to wet your whistle.
Staying hydrated helps us feel refreshed and fight fatigue. Here are a few super sips to pack ahead or pick up while waiting for transit:
- Water. Plain or fizzy, it’s Mother Nature’s elixir! Bring a reusable bottle to work daily and refill it with fresh water before you leave.
- Latte. Frothy and filled with nutrient-rich, hydrating milk. Go plain and low fat, without sugary syrups or whipped cream. Try decaf to cut the caffeine.
- Tea. Ask for gree, black or herbal tea. Skip the sugar; enjoy the taste of the tea itself.
Rushing home to a chaotic kitchen? Dietitians help you manage mealtime mayhem with five simple ideas.
Try these five fast meal ideas that will have dinner on the table in a flash.
- Got veetables? Stir fry veggies and chicken to serve over brown rice, quinoa or couscous.
- Got eggs? Make a Mediterranean omelette with black olives, roasted red peppers and feta cheese.
- Got pasta? Sauté cooked linguine with tomatoes, mushrooms and browned lean ground beef or turkey.
- Got cheese? Grill a yummy quesadilla with cheese, corn, cilantro and black beans.
- Got lentils? Make a flavourful curry or soup filled with red lentils and diced potatoes, carrots and tomatoes.
For packable snack ideas to power your afternoon, visit Cookspiration.
Scrambling for supper at the end of a busy workday? Recruit your family to help. Go team!
Planning and preparing meals as a team can help you feel less stressed about feeding your family during the mealtime rush.
- Connect on the weekend and plan meals for the week. Choose simple options that everyone enjoys such as fajitas or pasta with veggie-filled sauce.
- Get everyone to help prepare ingredients for the next day’s meal the night before.
- Assign meal prep tasks your family can begin when they get home at the end of the day. Less experienced helpers can set the table or get ingredients from the pantry.
Craving a snack for the commute? If you’re in a pinch, reach for better vending machine choices.
If the vending machine is your only choice when hunger hits, here are 10 snacks to reach for:
- Fresh fruit
- Cheese and crackers
- Veggie-and-dip packs
- Whole grain granola or cereal bars
- See or nut bars
- Plain popcorn
- Nuts, seeds and trail mix
- Unsalted pretzels
- Tuna-and-crackers kits
Don’t forget about healthy vending machine drinks, such as water, milk and low-sodium 100% vegetable juice.
Get inspired with recipe ideas from Cookspiration and serve up a nutrition tip a day with eaTipster!