Exclusively for Dietitians of Canada members who are Registered Dietitians or dietetic interns who are in an accredited dietetic education program. Pay less than $90/year.
All registered dietitians and interns working under the supervision of a registered dietitian should consider enrolling in Dietitians of Canada’s liability insurance program designed to provide members with important protection from lawsuits. Employer plans do not cover Legal Expenses Reimbursement or Criminal Defence Reimbursement. DC’s plan does. If your employer has a malpractice insurance plan, it will not cover your personal liability. Employer plans do not cover you for private practice, your volunteer work, or gratuitous advice. Litigation against professionals in Canada is on the rise. Make sure you are protected.
You can purchase the insurance when you purchase your DC membership at http://www.dietitians.ca/Membership.aspx. If you are already a member, visit My Profile after you log on to the DC Website, and select Liability Insurance on the top menu.
A Certificate of Insurance will be issued to each enrolled member on an annual basis.
Premiums listed below are inclusive of administrative fees and provincial taxes where applicable.
- Ontario and Manitoba residents $88.90
- Quebec $89.45
- Other Provinces $84.50
New as of 2013
- Maternity/Parental Leave - In order to receive continuous protection while on maternity leave, it is required that you are insured when you receive first notice of a claim. DC will waive the insurance premium for members who are currently not working, or are not working for the majority of the upcoming membership period, due to full-time maternity/parental leave, for a maximum of a one year period per parental leave.
- Interns – DC will waive the insurance premium for members who are currently working under the supervision of an RD while doing their Internship.
- Professional Liability Insurance - Limit $5,000,000. Includes: Malpractice, Errors & Omissions, and Legal Defense Costs.
- Legal Expense Reimbursement Costs - Limit $25,000. Provides a legal defense fund when you are called before a professional Regulatory Panel.
- Comprehensive General Liability Insurance - Limit $3,000,000. Includes: Bodily Injury, Property Damage, Personal Injury including Invasion of Privacy, Wrongful Entry, and Humiliation and Discrimination
- An additional insured endorsement can be added, upon request, to the above Commercial General Liability Insurance for ‘all government, municipalities, public institutions or hospitals in Canada’ with respect to their liability arising out of the insured member’s work.
- Criminal Charge Defence - Limit $100,000. Applies to successful defence of penal charges in Canada.
- Abused Patient Therapy and Counseling Coverage: The limit is $10,000 per member with an all member aggregate of $100,000.
- Sexual Abuse Defence Costs Reimbursement: The limit is $50,000 per member, per policy period.
- Coverage is available from date of purchase and expires at the end of your membership period.
- No Deductible.
You can purchase the insurance when you purchase your DC membership at http://www.dietitians.ca/Membership.aspx. If you are already a member, visit My Profile after you log on to the DC Website, and select Liability Insurance on the left hand menu.
This program is managed by LMS-Prolink Ltd through a consortium of National Insurers:
LMS PROLINK Ltd.
(Tel) 1-800-663-6828 Toll Free
Web Site: www.lms.ca/dc