The Household Food Insecurity Network (HFIN) provides support to DC members who are interested or involved in household food insecurity (HFI) and poverty reduction work by facilitating access to practice tools and resources, professional education and networking opportunities. We also support DC advocacy work, as HFI is identified as a priority issue
Between COVID, inflation, housing costs, extreme weather patterns, and other challenges, we are seeing new vulnerabilities and people at risk of food insecurity who were not previously in need of food, or financial aid. Pre-pandemic, an estimated one in eight Canadians (12.5%) were food insecure. We now think it is closer to one in six Canadians
(16%). As part of the HFIN, we facilitate ongoing collaboration necessary for addressing these complex challenges.
Read the Terms of Reference
Read the HFIN Land Acknowledgement
Resource document also available for HFIN members
Who should join this network?
The HFIN has information and activities that will strengthen competencies in all areas of dietetic practice - public health, clinical, community, private practice, business, education, and food service. Dietitians working together and learning to use an evidence-based HFI-focus in all our professional settings will strengthen outcomes in multiple sectors.
Benefits of membership
Activities and Achievements:
Prevalence, Severity and Impact of Household Food Insecurity: A Serious Public Health Issue
Find more documents in the Resource Library (search food insecurity)
- Review the 2022 Annual Report.
- Recent webinars to support our diverse area of practice
- Journal club topics have included nutrition advocacy, role of industry in food charities, and nutritionish
- An active PEN working group
- Working closely with DC staff related to HFI advocacy
Co-Chairs: Karen Giesbrecht and Lillian Yin
Regional Reps & Roles:
- Education Coordinator & BC rep: Lindsay Goodridge
- AB rep: Annika Krizan
- Yukon, NU, NT rep: Katherine Hillier
- SK, MB, NW ON rep & Treasurer: Shelby Rowein
- Central and Southern ON rep: Nina Trask, Nicole Weber
- QC, NE and Eastern ON rep: Marlène Goulet
- Atlantic rep: Laura Bellussi
- Student Voice: Ashley Egyedy
- Member at Large: Kat Yu
- Past Chair: Irena Forbes
$35 for full members; $15 for students
Join this network